After I made the appointment with the RE last week, I decided to call the other Doctor that my OBGYN referred me to-just to see if they possibly could get me in before March.
And they could! In fact, I had my appointment today.
I think I like him- I was put off at first at the idea of having a male doctor gettin to know my girly parts, but I decided to give him a shot. I haven't had the most compassionate or helpful of Women Doctors, after all. And even if they DO have a vagina- it's not MY vagina, so why give them favor over a male that might be more inclined to help me?
After the initial 30 minutes of filling me in on how conception occurs, including a riveting explanation of hormone production and which hormone supports which end of the cycle, (am I the only one that has a hard time not being a know it all and saying, "yeah, yeah- I know all this. Get to the part that I am NOT the expert on"?)
He told me a couple of interesting things.
One. He doubts very highly that I have PCOS. He is planning on proving to me that I don't, and is disappointed that my doctor threw Met at me with not so much as a FSH and LH blood test. Ironically, he was a professor to my GYN, and taught her "everything she knows"- which isn't much, since he went on to tell me OB GYNs only spend two months learning about reproductive health.
Wow.
Two. He told us that 80% of women that don't have children by the age of 30 will develop endometriosis. He insists that all women's uteruses push menstruel blood back up their fallopian tubes, and for reasons they don't understand, some women have a hard time conceiving because of it. The "cure?" usually pregnancy- a "break" from menstruation for at least nine months to clear out the endometriosis. Many women go on to have many children with no problem after this "break".
He thinks my first line of defense should be clomid. I never thought about this, only concerning myself with the chance of twins being the product of muliple eggs being ovulated: Two eggs means more estrogen of course- but also twice the progesterone! Hmmm. With the random LP spotting I sometimes have, this might be a good call.
Overall, I felt good after our conversation.
Then, he led me to another room and asked me kindly to drop my pants.
I was not prepared for the south of the border exam! what the hell? He wanted to do an ultrasound to see if my ovaries looked polycystic, if there was any visible endometriosis, and if my lining looked healthy.
No polycysts. My uterus is still tilted. Lining is nice and thick, and there was a nice big cyst on my right ovary- He thought I either just ovulated or am very close to it.
I didn't understand how he couldn't tell which one it was- I knew I hadn't yet, that I'm still two days away- but shouldn't he be able to tell that sort of thing? It kinda worried me. What if we missed our shot this month and he was right? My temp was very low this morning, and its only the 3rd day of EW for me. I have another two comin to me, buddy!
After the mildly painful magic wand exam,he sent me off with a prescription for a glucose fasting blood test and a p4 7dpo.
I am full of hope, as usual this time of my cycle. I am going to continue my 750mg of metformin until I know for sure it's not to thank for my regular ovulation, and we're going to get plenty of gettin down into our schedule this weekend.
Hopefully that is all I need to do to get knocked up this time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
This was a good post for me - especially since I have my first male RE appt. at the end of January. It sounds like a fresh set of findings/ideas from someone who specializes in this is a great step. You sound optimistic and empowered in a way right now.
Have fun this weekend! Crossing everything for you!
Very interesting about the RE's idea of endoemtriosis... Never looked into it much. Hmmm.
Glad he thinks you don't have PCOS & he has some good plans for the futre!
I'm so glad you're working on a new plan! Sounds like this guy is going to be very helpful.
I totally get what you mean about getting on to the part we *don't* already know! Sometimes I feel like dropping the smile and nod act and just telling my doc that I already know what he's talking about - but then I think that maybe, just maybe, he'll have something new to say that I haven't already heard so I better just keep my mouth shut!
I am so fricken excited!
This all sounds AWESOME!
Hmmm... wonder if I have endo. Another thing to think about.
Enough about me. Let's talk about YOU gettin' knocked up!
I hope the RE will be as helpful as he sounds.
Post a Comment